Title I Program
What is Title I?
Title I, Part A (Title I) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, as amended (ESEA) provides financial assistance to local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools with high numbers or high percentages of children from low-income families to help ensure that all children meet challenging state academic standards.Title I is a program that provides extra academic support and learning opportunities for children farthest from meeting challenging state standards.
Title I at Southwestern Elementary
Southwestern Elementary offers Title I support to students in grades Kindergarten through Sixth. As a school-wide Title I school, Southwestern Elementary may use Title I funds to improve student achievement throughout the entire school, regardless of a students’/families’ individual economic need.
Currently, Southwestern Elementary uses Title I funds to:
- Employ a full-time Title I Director who is responsible for writing the Title I grant to maintain funding for the Title I program, work with students in small groups on evidence-based interventions throughout the school day, and document and track student progress towards academic achievement goals
- Purchase and renew intervention programs to be used with students
- Provide access to training and conferences to improve professional knowledge and skills
- Keep our book vending machine fully stocked with reading materials for all students
- Increase family engagement by funding at least one Literacy Night and at least one Math Night per school year
Role of Parents
Parents of students who participate in the Title I program are encouraged to contact the Title I Director, classroom teachers, and administrators with any comments, concerns, or questions about the implementation of the Title I program at Southwestern Elementary.
Parents are also encouraged to attend the various family events throughout the school year to maintain an active role in their students’ education. These events include:
- Meet the Teacher Night/Back to School Night
- Parent-Teacher Conferences
- PTO Meetings
- Literacy and Math Nights
- Book Fair
- Winter and Spring Concerts
- Art Shows
Current Title I Programs
As of the 2023-2024 school year, Southwestern Elementary currently implements the following evidence-based intervention programs:
- Haggerty Phonemic Awareness (Grades K-2)
- Orton-Gillingham (Grades 2-5)
- 95% Group Comprehension (Grades 5 & 6)
- 95% Group Vocabulary Surge A & B (Grades 5 & 6)
- Reflex Math (Grades K-6)
- Redbird Math (Grades K-2)
- ALEKS Math (Grades 3-6)
Students receive 30 minutes of small group intervention instruction 4 days each week. Progress monitoring is conducted each week and data is tracked to document student progress towards academic goals. Questions about interventions or the Title I program can be directed to the Title I Director, Ms. Ashley Fivecoat, at